Friday, April 18, 2014

Another baby (or HUGE) step, for me, in the right direction!

After getting my wisdom teeth out yesterday.. I had some fuzzy buddies to help nurse me back to conciousness... they are good sleepers, as was I!  I'm sure nobody likes having invasive procedures done in their mouth, but if it means the difference between life and death.. then it's necessary.  Even just a tiny infection in one's body could trigger something which leads to rejection after a huge operation like a double lung transplant... For the rest of my life, after transplant, I will be a state of subtle to heavy immune suppression so that my body does not reject the "forgeign" bodies they have implanted into my upper torso.  (That is what my system will perceive them as.)  When a virus or infection is contracted in a healthy person's body the immune system goes in to action to irradicate it from the body and return it to a natural, healthy state.  

In my case.... if I didn't take anti rejection pills after transplant, my body would perceive the lungs as a threat and try to kill them.  Any little infection in my body can then be overlooked and unattended...leading to a much more serious infection which could cause acute rejection and possible death.  I did learn that in addition to the anti rejection drugs, I will also be on heavy antibiotics just for this reason... at all times.. They will kill possible infections when they start or first come into my body.... even possibly from my donor lungs as sometimes, certain viruses do not show up in the initial screening and acceptance of the lungs when they test them before implantation. ( CMV...etc.)

So, for now, I am staying put, in Austin... hermiting myself for the time being, staying as healthy as I can be, till I hear about insurance and till I am healed from this surgery  Then, it will be Bon Voyage from my home in Austin to Houston for the duration.  Once I am listed, I cannot come home as it is farther away from the hospital than they allow.  I would love to have a big, send off with all of my dear friends, but crowds and me don't mix right now.  There is too much risk for infection and contagions.  Thank you for your support with all the cards, texts, emails, etc. The power of prayer is working. So far, everything has pretty much gone as planned and in a good direction.... ALMOST there! Please don't give up on me. If I can, I will give it my best shot and be back in the LOOP again soon!  XO Much Love, Trish



No comments:

Post a Comment