Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!


FAITH!  A family that prays together, stays together.
2014 Happy Holidays from Sunny Texas!  As I write this, the leaves have fallen and it’s a balmy 70 degrees outside! If anybody would have told us that our lives would be turned upside down, and then back over again, at this time last year we would have told them they were crazy!  
 
Let me take you back. December 2013, I (Trish) went into Club Med just for a “tune up” (so I could be out for the holidays) as I was doing “okay” for the most part, although it’s all relative since I was on oxygen 24/7, had increasing, sporadic bouts of hemoptysis, which is bringing up copious amounts of blood when I had coughing fits and losing weight steadily, but that all goes with territory having CF.  So, I was admitted to on Dec. 10th and lo and behold, my port wasn’t working, which is imperative to have IV antibiotics administered. I underwent surgery, first thing, and when I woke up, I HAD THE FLU again... for the second year in a row over the holidays.  Kevin got it, too, so we were both miserable and apart for the first week during my stay.  The next two weeks, inpatient, had many bumps in the road as well, but it was all in preparation for something BIGGER!

This particular stay was like no other stay!  After 19 days, my lung capacity was under 17% and my Doctor was suggesting a Double Lung Transplantation Consultation, at least.  I could tell by the desperation and tears in his eyes that he was really concerned.  I had always been opposed to having one, but when you are backed into a corner with nowhere else to go, choices limit your decision making. I was having to use more oxygen and still not being able to breathe. Kevin asked me, “What are you waiting for?”  I thought about that for awhile and came to an epiphany right then and there that if I didn’t do something soon, it might be too late and it was worth a CHANCE to LIVE and JUST BREATHE again instead of looking forward to this state of health, or worse, for the rest of my life.  I couldn’t bear to lose Kevin and make HIM endure the pain of losing me, so I fought… and WE fought HARD!  

Three months post transplant on
Labor Day... Bike riding with
my mom and Kevin.
After a pre-evaluation in March, grueling tests for the evaluation in April, which is something which I barely got through as ill as I was, having to uproot with my cousin from Hawaii from our home in Austin to be closer to the transplant center in Houston three hours away and getting on the list in May, on June 14th “THE CALL” came in. I finally was in the ICU awaiting the operation. It seemed like a whirlwind, although the waiting prior without knowing when they would call was the longest wait of my life.  Hanging on by a thread, wondering if I would be here, on this Earth when they called me was something I prayed on and wondered about. We had friends around the world praying for me and reading our story which we put on a Facebook and a blog to share.  I totally believe in the Power of Prayer and do BELIEVE that God had His hand in all of this. PTL!  Everything leads me to that conclusion. There is no other way.  There is a time and a season for everything and although thinking about the fact that another family would be grieving and mourning the loss of their loved one for my new lease on life, I truly Believe that God has a plan and we should trust what moves us in this Universe.  People have told me since sharing my journey that I have been an inspiration and a blessing in their lives. They are stronger and pull from deep within when they think of what I went through to come out to this SUNSHINE on the other side.  Six months post, as I write this…I’m CELEBRATING my LUNGIVERSARY!!  Happy Happy!  I’m doing great and even running a little for the first time in more than 15 years.  Read more about the whole journey by scrolling backwards in time on this blog!


Beautiful Carla and Ray
Vessie Voo, Boolio and Flookie! Our fur babies!
Enough of about me, though… let’s update you on the ROCK in my life! My reason for living! Kevin!  He changed jobs last October (2013) to Emerson Process after leaving Dell, which he had been employed with for over 6 years.  This fit is so much better for him and he loves the job and people. This year, we were devastated with the sudden loss of his best buddy, Ray Cargo, in April, who was the bass player in his band after a rather quick decline when they diagnosed him with Pancreatic and Liver Cancer at the end of ’13.  We are all still in shock and miss him in our daily lives with that mischievous smile and glint in his eye.   
 Luckily, before Ray passed Air Cargo laid down tracks and made what might be the best Bluegrass CD (awesome listening) to come about from the tunes that they loved and played in the numerous gigs they shared together over the past few years in which the band was together.  Ray reminded us of the SPIRIT of Santa Claus (he looked like him too), the whole year through. Love that man!  Our hearts go out to his wife Carla and all the dear, loved ones we have lost this year. If we REMEMBER them, they will always be close! 

Our Dogters are becoming Senior Citizens now, almost… At least they sleep enough to warrant that label!  Bela, Fleck and Vestal are such a humorous distraction in our lives and make us remember the SIMPLE things like unconditional love, faith, loyalty and FOOD!   

We hope that this year finds you with peace in your lives and a thought that you can do ANYTHING that you set your mind to!  It may take awhile, but you’ll get there! We are proof of that, of course, with the help of my cousin, Caroline. We couldn’t have done it without her.   
With Love and Light along your path! 

‘O Grateful Ones,   Trish and Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment