Thursday, June 18, 2015

Post Script from Kevin on one year lungiversary!

Trish Taylor (Bilateral Lung Transplant June 14th 2014)
HAPPY 1 YEAR LUNGIVERSAY EVERYONE!
My small miracle celebrated her first anniversary of her new life this past Sunday. Last week, her PFTs dialed in at 103% of Predicted Value. Woohoo! She has not seen this volume of lung capacity since she was a little girl. I cannot describe the feeling I get when I see her go up and downstairs without stopping halfway to catch her breath. The gut wrenching sounds of coughing up cups of thick sticky mucous are now a thing of the past, although those sounds I have lived with for 24 years will forever be etched in my memory. Transplant City has graciously welcomed us into the hood and we are still in awe of the events that got us here.
We celebrated the 1 year mark at one of our favorite restaurants. We sat outside in the unusually cool summer weather and looked back at all the photos we took during those incredible weeks we spent at Houston Methodist. We laughed, we cried, and marveled at the impossible logistics that all seemed to fall together perfectly to get us through what was the most amazing, emotional and incredible roller coaster ride we have ever been on! One year ago we were eating here (with the help of oxygen) the day before Trish left for Houston to be on ‘the list’. And I told her then I would bring her back here in a year with new lungs and an appetite…and I held up my promise!
We will be heading to Houston shortly for a 1 year transplant clinic checkup and we pray that everything will go well. We have had a few ‘minor obstacles’ along the way, but we celebrate the “small miracles” as they happen almost daily: they would certainly pass us by if we were not looking for them. The future is uncertain, but we take it day by day,love and laugh often, and have faith in God. At the end of the day, all you really have is
each other, so give your special soulmate a big sloppy kiss tonight and make sure they know how much you appreciate them sharing their lives with you!
We have other friends on social media that are having some hurdles to clear post transplant and our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you. The courageous stories of post-transplant recovery are unbelievable and inspiring. We hope you continue to improve over the coming days.
You WILL make it, and we can’t wait for the day that you join us in Transplant City.
To all of you who have played a part in our journey (and you know who you are), we hope we can pay you back some day with the same kindness you unselfishly gave to us to make this all happen. I’ll say this again, we couldn’t have done it without YOU! Go team TrishKev!!
And to our new transplant friends in the greater Austin area: We enjoy being in Transplant City with such great foks, and we look forward to have more “lung meetups”.
I have to go, my small miracle is tired of waiting and is walking the dogs around the block without me. I had better wipe the tears away before I run and catch up with her....
Breath freely my friends,
Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment